Creativity lives at the center of every Soul. Truth.
“How do you tap into it?” and “How do you keep it flowing?”
Several weeks back in my blog, Falling in Love – With Your Own Life, I shared a story about focusing attention and the wonder found in my own back yard. In that moment of grounded presence beauty opened expansively. Minutes extended into an experience of creative eternity. I embraced Life, feeling fully rooted and at home. I fell in love with my own life once more.
Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz, gave voice to the soul’s inner needs to return to the home of the Soul when Dorothy whispered, “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.”
To Dorothy home meant Kansas, Auntie Em’s farm, her roots, all the things she originally wanted desperately to escape. Dorothy thought if she looked outside herself, elsewhere, she would find her life. Ultimately, she discovered her life was right where she started. Home.
Home, the home of our souls, is the connection with our essential self, found in our conscious awareness, our focus and attention. It is what grounds us. It is the door to our creativity and as Deepak Chopra might say, our ‘Pure Potentiality’.
Deepak Chopra talks about the Law of Pure Potentiality as the connecting point to our essential selves. It’s where ‘pure consciousness’ intersects with infinite possibilities and creativity. It’s that place where we find ourselves most at home with ourselves, most happy, most in balance, most alert to original inspired thought. It is the source of innovation and invention. It’s where ideas intersect with vision for action. It is found in quiet and stillness.
With so much coming at us every day through multiple media channels, I am clear it is easy to confuse what ‘the Culture’ is telling us to think and believe with what our own heart is saying to us.
If we are not practiced at listening to our inner knowing, it is easy to latch onto the narrative espoused by whichever media channel feeds our own insecurities, doubts and fears.
How do we get past that? How do we ground ourselves in our own Truth so that we create the life we want, not the one the world would feed us? How do we connect with our own creativity?
If you want to tap into your creative self and repeat that experience again and again, here are a few tips:
- Carve out dedicated time to sit quietly and think deeply each day.
- Select a specific problem or issue. Generate as many possibilities as you can about it – no thought or idea is too outrageous.
- Put the problem aside. Take a walk in Nature with the intention of activating your senses. On your walk out, focus your attention on one of your senses (sight, hearing, smell). Notice. On the way back, choose a different sense to pay attention with. Allow yourself to drink it all in. Notice what bubbles up.
- Practice thinking about unusual facts that don’t seem to go together about a problem or situation. Think the opposite of the norm. Follow that train of thought and see where it leads you.
- When you jump to a conclusion – STOP! Jumping to the first conclusion is your nemesis when it comes to creativity. Define the problem and then explore as many possible directions as you can.
- Ask broad questions. Branch out. Talk with other people who may not have your same perspective. Listen to their ideas and reasoning. Set your own opinions on the shelf and consider what they think, feel and believe.
- Be willing to change your mind.
There are lots of gurus out there today telling us what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. I’m not immune. I’m always looking for novel ways to expand my understanding and creativity. I get great inspiration from reading insightful people’s work and talking with others on their own path. But just like Dorothy, this can throw me off from my inner knowing and send me on wild rides that take me off purpose. I can easily betray myself by not listening to my inner voice.
If you want to connect more fully to the home of your Soul, try one or more of these simple tips.
If you want a gut check on what you truly think and believe, if you want to change the thinking or habits that get in the way of you getting what you want out of life, let’s chat.
Just follow this link to book your strategy session. https://www.dianeweekley.com/booking/
The first step is always the hardest.
The next is easier.
Make your appointment today.